Geopark Holdings Limited Acquisition In Colombia
GeoPark Holdings Limited ("GeoPark" or the "Company"), the Latin American oil and gas exploration and production company operating in Chile and Argentina (AIM:GPK) is pleased to announce the acquisition of Winchester Oil and Gas S.A. and La Luna Oil Company Limited S.A. (collectively "Winchester Luna"), privately-held exploration and production companies operating in Colombia, for a US$30M cash consideration, adjusted for working capital. The agreement also provides for certain contingent payments from production revenues as a result of successful future exploration.
GeoPark is acquiring the Winchester Luna assets to form a nucleus around which it plans to build a meaningful long-term business in Colombia and to complement its expanding upstream business in Chile and Argentina. GeoPark currently operates 9 blocks in Chile and Argentina (approximately 4 million gross acres) with current oil and gas production of approximately 9,200 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boepd). GeoPark's 2012 work program of US$100-120M in Chile includes the drilling of 17-20 wells and the carrying out of 600 square kilometres of 3D and 147 kilometres of 2D seismic surveys. (Three new blocks in Chile are subject to regulatory approval.)
The acquisition of Winchester Luna provides GeoPark with the following upstream platform in Colombia:
- Interests in 8 blocks (ranging from 75% to 5%) located in the Llanos, Magdalena and Catatumbo basins in Colombia, covering an area of approximately 131,000 gross acres.
- Licensed Operator of 2 of the blocks.
- Risk-balanced asset portfolio of existing reserves, low risk development potential and attractive exploration upside.
- Current oil production of approximately 1,230 barrels per day (bpd) (approximately 800 bpd net) from two blocks.
- 2P oil reserves of approximately 2 million barrels net to GeoPark (Company estimate).
- Exploration oil resources (unrisked) of 20-25 million barrels net to GeoPark (Company estimate).
- Active and ongoing exploration drilling program with 10 wells planned for 2012. (Estimated 2012 capital expenditures of approximately US$20-30M net to GeoPark).
- Experienced Colombian operating and administrative team which ensures a smooth transition and GeoPark start-up in Colombia.
- Associations and JVs with principal Colombian operators.
GeoPark is actively working to develop and acquire other oil and gas business opportunities in Colombia to further expand this platform.
GeoPark will fund the acquisition and investment program from its existing cash resources. In the 9 months to 30 September 2011, the Winchester Luna assets generated revenues of approximately US$27M and EBITDA of approximately US$10.5M (unaudited).
Commenting, James F. Park, CEO of GeoPark, said: "The acquisition of Winchester Luna is an important first step for GeoPark into Colombia and into a region with exciting growth and consolidation opportunities. A position in Colombia, with its big subsurface oil and gas potential and its inviting political and regulatory environment, is key to building a successful Latin American oil and gas project portfolio. GeoPark's successful business model is to establish an initial platform in a country, understand the broader set of opportunities and then build up and out from that foundation into a more meaningful and valuable business. We believe the Winchester Luna asset mix and its active current drilling program provide the opportunity for GeoPark to grow and add value through both the drill bit and additional acquisitions in the short and intermediate term. We believe the Colombian assets are also an excellent complement to our successful and growing Chile portfolio."
In accordance with AIM Rules, the information in this release has been reviewed and signed off by Carlos Gulisano, PhD, Geology (38 years of oil and gas experience) and Managing Director of GeoPark. Reserve and resource estimates in this release have been compiled by the Company in accordance with the 2007 Petroleum Resources Management System produced by the Society of Petroleum Engineers. For more information, visit www.geo-park.com.
SOURCE: GeoPark Holdings Limited