Fox Thermal Instruments announced recently the FM, FMc, ATEX, and IECEx approvals of their new product: the state of the art Fox Model FT3 Thermal Mass Flow Meter & Temperature Transmitter.
The FM (U.S.), FMc (Canadian), ATEX (EU), and IECEx (Global) approvals assure Fox customers around the world of the highest national and international safety standards used in the manufacture of the new Model FT3. Not only do the approvals declare that the FT3 performs reliably, it also shows it is safe for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. To receive these approvals, Fox Thermal Instruments’ Quality System was carefully inspected through a three-tiered assessment, and the Model FT3 was put through rigorous multi-phased testing.
The FT3 Mass Flow Meter has received the following approvals:
- FM and FMc approvals (*temperature ratings vary based on meter configuration):
- Class I, Division 1, Groups B, C, D;
- Class II, Division 1, Groups E, F, G;
- Class III, Division 1; T3C, Ta=-40°C to 70°C
- Class I, Zone 1, AEx/Ex d IIB + H2 T6*/T4*/T1*; Ta=-20°C to 70°C; Type 4X, IP67.
- ATEX approvals (*temperature ratings vary based on meter configuration):
- II 2 G Ex d IIB + H2 T6*/T4*/T1* Gb Ta=-20°C to 70°C; IP67
- o II 2 D Ex tb IIIC T85°C*/T135°C*/T450°C*; Db Ta=-20°C to 70°C; IP67.
- IECEx approvals(*temperature ratings vary based on meter configuration):
- Ex d IIB + H2 T6*/T4*/T1* Gb Ta=-20°C to 70°C; IP67
- Ex tb IIIC T85°C*/T135°C* Db Ta=-20°C to 70°C; IP67
These approvals certify that the resilient design of the FT3 conforms to the greatest national and international safety standards for loss protection and risk management.
The FT3 raises the bar for flow measurement instrumentation with its robust and innovative design. The FT3 has many advanced features that distinguish it from competitors:
- CAL-V™ - An in situ Calibration Validation Routine
- Infrared Buttons – Advanced Programming Buttons Maintain Integrity of Enclosure
- HART and RS485 Modbus - Optional Communication Protocols
- Standard USB Port – Gain Direct Meter-to-PC Connections
- FT3 View™ - Software for configuring, graphing and logging data
The FT3 was designed to be used in any pure or mixed gas application, but it is ideal for applications at refineries, petrochemical plants, and natural gas gathering/processing plants. The FT3 is commonly used for flares, vent (flash) gas, and biogas applications. In addition, with its rugged-design, the FT3 is ideal for heavy industrial applications in metals, paper, glass and ceramics.
Other FT3 features are dual 4 to 20mA outputs (one for flow and the second selectable for flow or temperature) and pulse output (pulses per unit/units per pulse). A basic insertion type FT3 uses the PowerPro™ Sensor to measure from 15 to 60,000 SFPM (0.07 to 280 NMPS) with a flow accuracy of ±1% of reading, ±0.4% of full scale. The FT3 can measure in over 25 selectable flow units and can be calibrated to continuously monitor the flow of air, compressed air, natural gas, biogas, mixed gases, and pure gases.
The FT3’s CAL-V™ feature allows users to confirm that the meter is functioning properly under actual operating conditions - in the pipe and at normal flow.
FT3 View™ allows easy adjustments to the meter configuration, evaluation of alarm conditions, collection of process data, and measurement viewing from your PC or control station. Moreover, this software can be used to initiate CAL-V™ -- and it automatically logs the results of each CAL-V™ test. If any regulatory submission is required, the software will generate a Calibration Validation Certificate for easy recordkeeping.
A USB connection port comes standard on the new Model FT3 which allows quick and easy access with a laptop. Communications options available are HART and RS485 Modbus.
About Fox Thermal Instruments, Inc.
Founded in 1994, Fox Thermal Instruments provides a broad range of reliable, accurate and full-featured gas flow meters to industrial OEMs and end-user customers. The Fox management group has decades of experience in thermal flow design, application and manufacturing techniques. Our outstanding team of mechanical, electronic and software designers have helped shape the thermal mass flow measurement industry and continue to leverage new materials and technologies to improve instrument functionality, accuracy and reliability. For more information, visit http://www.foxthermalinstruments.com/